Summary: We collect information about you when you:
We also collect information, such as usage statistics, by using cookies, server logs, and similar technologies.
If you elect to use certain features, we also collect information through other sources, such as social media services, invitations, and imported contacts.s
We collect information that you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information that you provide when you create an account, choose interests or groups, fill out a form, or communicate with us. The types of information that we may collect include your name, username, password, email address, postal address, phone number, payment method data, photos, choices of interests and groups, and any other information that you choose to provide. Information about your gender and interests is optional. Your choice of groups is optional, but we are required to process this information in order to administer your account, and to indicate that you are a member of the groups that you join. See Section 2 to learn how we will use the information that you provide to personalize our recommendations and other content to you.
On occasion, the information that you give us when you join a group may imply information about your beliefs, political views, health conditions; or your sexual identity. This, and other kinds of sensitive information, is given special protection. Posting personal or sensitive information about yourself or others is against our Community Guidelines.
When you use our Platform, we automatically collect information about you, including:
We may collect information about you from other sources, such as through certain features on the Platform you elect to use, but only where these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your information to us. Examples include:
Summary: We use information about you to:
We may use information about you for various purposes related to operating our Platform, including to:
1. Provide, maintain, and improve our Platform, including to process transactions, develop new products and services, and manage the performance of our Platform;
2. Display information about you, for instance, your list of interests, which will be visible on your profile;
3. Personalize the Platform, for example, to suggest content in which we think you may be interested (including content given special protection under EU law or that relates to sensitive topics such as health, political opinions, religion, and sexual identity);
4. Allow you to share information about your use of the Platform through a third-party social media service, if you connect your account through that service (which you can turn off at any time) and to provide you with better recommendations;
5. Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Platform; and
6. Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions, abuse, and other illegal activities; to protect the rights, property, or safety of Appublic and others; to enforce compliance with our policies; and to comply with applicable law and government requests.
7. Perform accounting and administrative tasks, and enforce or manage legal claims.
We may use information about you for various purposes related to communicating with you, including to:
1. Respond to your comments, questions, and requests, and provide customer service;
2. Communicate with you, in accordance with your account settings, about products, services, and events offered by us and others, to provide news and information that we think will be of interest to you, to conduct online surveys, to contact you about events on our Platform that are being held near your location, and to otherwise communicate with you in accordance with Section 2.3;
3. Notify you about communications of other members, in accordance with the communication preferences that you indicate in your account; and
4. Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support, and administrative messages.
We may use information about you for various other purposes, including to:
1. Provide content, features, or sponsorships that match member profiles or interests;
2. Facilitate contests and other promotions;
4. Carry out any other purposes described to you at the time that we collected the information.
Our legal basis for collecting and using the information described above will depend on the type of information and the specific context in which we collect it.
1. We process information about you in order to provide our services in accordance with our Terms of Service, for example to allow you to join groups, or to display your profile to other members, and to allow us to send you important service updates.
2. We also process information about you where it is in our legitimate interests to do so and not overridden by your rights (for example, in some cases for direct marketing, fraud prevention, network and information systems security, responding to your communications, the operation of networks of groups by the network administrators, and improving our Platform).
3. Sometimes you provide us with sensitive information about you; for instance, the mere fact of joining a certain group may indicate information about your health, religion, political views, or sexual identity. Joining such groups, or posting information on the Platform about these topics is entirely voluntarily and done with your explicit consent.
4. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect information about you, or may otherwise need the information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
5. We may also process information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract.
We may also share de-identified or aggregated information.
We share some of the information that we collect by displaying it on our Platform according to your member profile and account settings. Some information, such as user name, is always public. Some information, such as interests, is public by default, but can be hidden on our Platform. Some information, such as group memberships, will always be visible to other members of that Appublic group, and may be public, depending on the settings of that group. We recommend that you check the group settings and what information will be available before joining the group to ensure that you are happy with the information that is visible to others.
If you are a member of a group, this group may now or in the future become part of a network of groups known as a “Appublic Pro” network. Members who administer a Appublic Pro network, known as “network administrators” have access to the content within their groups. Network administrators find it helpful to have access to the email addresses of organizers and other members of groups within their networks, to easily communicate with and administer the groups. Therefore, we may ask if you want to share your email address with your group’s network administrator.
We may use service providers in connection with operating and improving the Platform to assist with certain functions, such as payment processing, email transmission, conducting surveys or contests, data hosting, managing our ads, and some aspects of our technical and customer support. We take measures to ensure that these service providers access, process, and store information about you only for the purposes we authorize, subject to confidentiality obligations.
We may access, preserve, and disclose information about you to third parties, including the content of messages, if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, applicable law, regulation, legal process, or audits. We may also disclose information about you if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our Terms of Service or related guidelines and policies, or if necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of, or prevent fraud or abuse of, Appublic or others.
The Platform may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools which let you share actions that you take on our Platform with third-party services, and vice versa. Such features let you share information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you have chosen with the service. The third-party services' use of the information will be governed by the third-parties’ privacy policies, and we do not control the third-parties’ use of the shared data. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please review the privacy policies of the services that provide these features.
If Appublic is involved in a merger, acquisition, financing, reorganization, bankruptcy, or sale of our assets, information about you may be shared, sold, or transferred as part of that transaction. We may also share information about you with current or future corporate parents, subsidiaries, or affiliates.
We may de-identify or aggregate information about you and share it freely, so that you can no longer be identified. We may also share information about you with your consent or at your direction or where we are legally entitled to do so.
We employ technical and organizational measures designed to appropriately protect your information that is under our control and that we process on your behalf from unauthorized access collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal, both during transmission and once we receive it. We store all information that you provide to us on secure servers. We train employees regarding our data privacy policies and procedures, and permit authorized employees to access information on a need to know basis, as required for their role. We use firewalls designed to protect against intruders and test for network vulnerabilities. However, no method of transmission over the internet or method of electronic storage is completely secure.
Where you have a password, which enables you to use our services, you are responsible for keeping this password complex, secure, and confidential. If you would like to update or change your password, you may select the “Forgot your password?” link on the login page. You will be sent an email that allows you to reset your password.
We may temporarily block your account if you have not logged in for six months or more. You may contact us if you wish to reactivate your account.
We retain certain information that we collect from you while you are a member of the Platform, and in certain cases where you have deleted your account, for the following reasons:
Appublic is a data controller. Members, including group organizers and network administrators, are directly responsible for complying with all requirements of applicable EU privacy laws in connection with the information that they obtain and process for the purposes of managing their contacts, or organizing groups, or administering networks
You may update or correct your account information by editing your account settings or by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may deactivate your account by editing your account settings or by sending an email to email@example.com. You will also be able to choose what information others see about you and who may contact you by using the Privacy Settings section in your Account.
When you first access the Platform, we will collect information about your location, which we use to make better recommendations for groups and events in your area, and to improve our Platform. If you do not want us to collect information about your location, then you can prevent this:
Note that our Platform or its features may no longer function properly if you do.
Your mobile device settings may also give you the option to choose whether to allow us to view your location on a continuous basis, when only using the app, or never. Allowing us to view your location when you are not using the app allows us to provide you with recommendations on a regular basis. Please refer to your device’s guide for additional information on how to adjust location services.
You can control messages that you receive from Appublic, other members, and third parties by selecting the unsubscribe link in the message that you receive, or by adjusting the communication preferences in your account settings. We will also send you a link to these settings when you first sign up and in subsequent messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
We respond to all requests that we receive from individuals who wish to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. You can contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rights that you may have, depending on the country in which you live, include:
If you have any questions, you can contact us at email@example.com.